Tuesday, March 31, 2009

All the rage...

I can't believe how fast Croy is recovering from everything. Everyday brings less wires and more great news.

(He is practically glowing)

His bilirubin levels were high enough that he is sporting the lastest shade of yellow. Two sets of light and a bili blanket from underneath and voila, he's turning into a pink babe again. Except for his diaper area. It's the opposite of a tan. He's still yellow everywhere his diaper is.

Interesting tidbit, the bili lights only work on the effects of his levels being high. Yes, it helps his skin return to a normal color but it doesn't cure the high levels. It doesn't get deep enough into their bodies to affect the blood vessels. He has to "mess" his pants to clear it out. They kept him under the lights an extra day because his body would look like it rebounded due to the blood still pushing the bili out to his skin.

He didn't love the new look. He kept pushing himself out of the light and pulling off the Oakley's.


Can you blame him? Me either:)

Graduation Day
Croy had a big day yesterday. He was taken out of the lights and put into a crib with clothes and blankets. He also came off the oxygen and is maintaining his oxygen levels on room air. They also discontinued his TPN (food fed through an IV) and he is feasting on milk through his NG tube until he can figure out how to eat on his own. He is working very hard at learning the cues his body naturally gives him. Tomorrow will be his last day of antibiotics and then the IV comes out permanently. They have stuck him so many times that when they rub around his hands and feet for a new vein he starts crying. He knows what's coming. Very sad:(


I'm getting so excited to be able to bring him home soon. I can almost imagine what it will be like to snuggle and cuddle all day and night without having to say goodbye.

Patience is a virtue that I haven't quite mastered. I'll be eternally working on it. ;)

6 comments:

Laura said...

Yea!!! I'm so glad that every day seems to be an improvement. Croy is so adorable. In that last picture he looks a LOT like Calvin. It was good to visit you both yesterday. I know he will be home soon. By the way, if you figure out the patience thing will you please let me in on the trick! My family will greatly appreciate it. :)

schielefamily said...

I love the pictures and he really looks like a healthy little boy. I hope that he can manage to eat alone soon so you can take him home to have him with you every second. Can´t wait to meet him one day in person.

fagergrenfam said...

Thanks for letting me come and love him today! I loved when he opened his mouth when I rubbed his "rolls"

Jackie said...

Kim- I can't imagine how hard it would be to leave your baby at the hospital! Glad he's doing better. So sorry he has to go through this. I can't wait til you can bring him home and cuddle him. How are you doing?

Emily said...

So glad to hear that he is continually improving. He looks so good in a "regular" crib. We love you and are praying for you guys.

B said...

Holy Crap! This is what I get for not blog hopping for a week. He is so cute! Congratulations! And he will be yellow for at least a month! Been there! I will keep checking your blog for updates!