Monday, January 12, 2009

I Miss This!!!!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you."
AARON DOUGLAS TRIMBLE

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be having a baby, loving every minute of it actually. This quote says it perfectly....

"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running."
SARAH CONDOR

I walked on the treadmill this morning and I couldn't help but reminisce over the last ten years of running. I started training for my first race before I was even pregnant with Brooklyn. It's actually what got me through the first few years of my infertility adventures. I trained for my first race with a group of friends from the U pharmacy. We'd spend our breaks running and biking. Biking is another wonder and exhilarating adventure.

I was thinking of how wonderful I felt every morning when I'd come home from an early morning run. I'd get up at 5:15 am, be out on the rode by 5:30 am and without thinking (most mornings) be a mile into a four miler. Some mornings were very tough. The first 1/2 mile would be excruciating and I'd wonder what I was doing out there instead of in my bed sleeping. It seriously took a half mile to wake up and be in the mood for running. Then something happened, chemically in my head, I suddenly felt strong, energetic and ready for anything to come my way. I'd put everything into the next 2 1/2 miles then slow down the last mile until the last two tenths and sprint the rest of the way. The only thing that made a morning run like this better was having a fabulous friend to enjoy it with. The conversations were great and the bond unbreakable.

I loved jumping into the shower after I got back. First to warm up because I get beastly cold when I'm done and nothing feels better than having adrenaline and a clean body to start your day. I loved the way I felt knowing that nothing short of a major disaster could ruin my day. My out look was incredibly strong and invincible.

"Keep your dream in front of you. Never let it go regardless of how farfetched it might seem."
HAL HIGDON, Marathoning A to Z

So, I've purchased another running stroller, I sold my old one in a garage sale last summer and I will be buying a new pair of shoes on the next sale. I am rev and ready to hit the rode again. Just three more months for the smell of a fresh baby and the feel of a great run.

5 comments:

fagergrenfam said...

Kim I wish I shared your love of running. I can barely think of walking. My blubberous body shows it. Kudos to you for running in marathons. Before you know it you'll be kickin' up dust again.

schielefamily said...

Good choice to buy a running stroller! It feels so good to be on the move again after birth. And the babyboy will get used to movements and sports right from the beginning on. I have never been into running like I am into biking but for you I´d get up (even in the early morning) and I´d love to go running with you. I just can´t do it bymyself. Keep on moving even in your last 93 days of pregnancy.
Love K.

Emily said...

You are my exercise hero. I wish I had the drive that you have. Greg's choice of exercise is running, and he can work up to 5 or 6 miles in no time. I, personally, have never understood running. I probably couldn't run from my house to your house. It's the breathing. I did get in the pool yesterday and did some laps. After the first 10 minutes, all I could think was that I hoped I had the energy to do 10 more minutes. But, like you said, something just kicked in and it started to feel really, really good.

I think your goals are fabulous, and I will be there to cheer you on.

Laura said...

You go girl! You are amazing. I,too, will be waving as you and the babe run past, cheering you on. I've never been a runner either (obviously) but I certainly do admire those who do. :)

Jen-ben said...

soon enough...you'll be running all those crazy miles again! You are inspiring!