
My sister (Dobie) and I were talking about how life seems to go in waves of energy (I can accomplish anything, stress) and happiness to exhausted (I just can't do it, down time) and depressing times. She mentioned that a book she had read talked about that your body needs time to recover from the energy that your body uses during those stressful times. After a length of stress time your body goes through down time to recover.
I've decided I'm going through the down time. My kids just went back to school this last week. I thought I'd be over joyed with free time to clean my house and have it stay clean. I thought that I'd enjoy a quiet house for a change. I actually have found that I miss my kids a lot. It doesn't help that we are in school and our friends and neighbors are still on vacation. It's kind of deserted around here.
I've been able to go to my dad's and spend the day with him. It's really nice there. I have an adult to visit with all day. I talk to him about everything. My kids accomplishments, my broken washer and what parts I need to get to fix it, Croy's cute smiles and giggles and the water retention in my dad's legs that seems to be getting better since they've bought a hospital style bed for him.
I decided to fix my 2 inch roots in my hair. You know how great you feel after getting your hair done. I thought that if I just pulled my hair through a cap that it wouldn't be too bad to just add some more blond to it. WRONG!!! (don't ever do this) Instead of a little more blond at the ends and nicely blended hair from my roots to the last weave I ended up with several different colors of platinum blond and fried, I mean country home style fried hair. It was awful and uuuuggggllllyyyy. I couldn't just color the whole thing. It'd have horizontal lines, like Bryce Canyon.
So my sweet mother tried to pull my hair through the cap again and add a dark blond to help tone down the atrocity of color in my hair. I think a POW camp would have been less painful than having my coarse, fried hair pulled through a cap. I think I lost more hair in that 30 mins than my whole life. The finished product is a lot of different colors in my hair and 3-4 inches chopped off. I pledge to never ever ever be frugal when it comes to my hair again.
I've learned a very good lesson here. It's worth paying high prices for beautiful hair. I've also learned that I'll never again wish for my children to be gone away at school or anywhere else.


6 comments:
I thought your hair looked SOOO cute in church! I should have said something! I would never have guessed you country home style fried it or colored it weird! :) Also thanks so much for your insight on the cycles of life. It's nice to know other people feel that same thing and that it's normal. We shouldn't get too down on ourselves when we are in a bit of a slump. I needed to hear that! Your great, Kim.
I would have loved to see a picture before your mom fixed your hair and how it looks now. You are absolutely right about the waves in everyones life. But I haven´t figured yet in wish stadium I am at the moment. Probably not in the stressed one. By the way, your kids will be home soon again during their next school off time. Do some exercise during your freetime :) .
Miss ya, K.
I have never been brave enough to color my hair at home. I have about 3 inch roots and will live with it for the time being until I can afford the salon!
While I was at girls camp I was away from my kids. Then my mom ended up taking them for 3 days camping. So I didn't see them for an entire week. The first day home alone was kind of nice, but I found it entirely too quiet in the house and I was completely bored. I even missed cleaning up after them. It made me wonder what people without kids do all day. So I know what you mean about missing them. I can't believe the summer is almost over- it's gone by way too fast. My kids start school at the end of the month and I don't know if I'm ready for it or not....
I know what you mean. The last couple of years I've really missed my kids while they were at school all day. I haven't seen your hair yet but you always look great, so I bet it's beautiful. If you want to I'll set you up with my hair gal. :)
You gals are all very sweet. I'm just going to be patient and let it recover from the damage and then I'll start calling around for your hair people names. Thanks!!
Jackie, I've always admired your patience. That's one of the first things I noticed about you when we met in scouts.
Wonderful and profound thoughts - on kids and hair. Thanks!
Oh, and I agree with everyone else - Your new look is adorable, even if you did come by it accidentally.
Post a Comment